Call for Entries: Images of Repression & Freedom Photography & Art Contest
Today, Freedom House will begin accepting submissions for its third annual photo and art contest, Images of Repression and Freedom. We invite professional and amateur photographers and artists to submit photos and other forms of art (i.e. cartoons, prints, paintings, graphic art) that reflect the themes of freedom, political participation, democracy, human rights, and repression.
Semifinalists chosen by Freedom House will be displayed and auctioned as a fundraiser on April 15, 2014 in Washington, DC. The top three winners will be featured on the Freedom House website, Facebook and Twitter, in our newsletter, and will receive a cash prize:
- $300 for First Place
- $200 for Second Place
- $100 for Third Place
Works from any country or region of the world will be considered, but preference will be given to works from countries where freedom is under threat.
View the winning photos from 2013 and 2012:
The decision to feature submitted photos is the sole discretion of Freedom House. Chosen artists will be notified through email. Photos must be the sole property of the submitter. All submitters agree that any image they submit to Freedom House may be used by Freedom House for marketing and promotional purposes, including for publication in Freedom House printed materials, advertisements, electronic media, Internet, and on freedomhouse.org. Any image used by Freedom House shall carry a credit line of the artist. Copyright and all other rights remain that of the artist. Submitters acknowledge that any money raised by the auction of their work will be a donation to Freedom House, which is tax deductible for U.S. citizens.
Photo Contest Rules
- The 2014 Freedom House Photo and Art Contest begins Tuesday, January x, 2014 and ends Monday, March 10, 2014, at 5:00 p.m. US Eastern Time. To enter, email your entry form and photo to [email protected].
- Photos must be submitted in JPG or JPEG. No other formats will be accepted.
- Other forms of art (i.e. cartoons, prints, graphic art) may be considered on a case-by-case basis, and must be submitted in JPG or JPEG format.
- Photos must be high resolution but no more than 10 MB in size. Photos must be at least 600 by 800 pixels and 75 dots per inch (dpi).
- Chosen works may be displayed/featured anonymously at the artist's request.
- Participants can submit multiple entries, but no more than five per participant.
- The decision to feature submitted photos is the sole discretion of Freedom House. Chosen artists will be notified through email. Photos must be the sole property of the submitter. All submitters agree that any image they submit to Freedom House may be used by Freedom House for marketing and promotional purposes, including for publication in Freedom House printed materials, advertisements, electronic media, Internet, and on freedomhouse.org. The submitter understands and agrees that the determination as to whether to attribute the submitted photograph to the submitter is within Freedom House's discretion.
- When participants enter the contest, they must sign a personal release:
With respect to the photograph submitted for the 3rd Annual Freedom House Photography and Art Contest (the “Photograph”), I hereby grant to Freedom House, its affiliates and licensees, the following irrevocable, perpetual, transferable, non-exclusive, fully paid, worldwide, license to:
(1) use, copy, transmit, distribute, reproduce, modify, create derivative works, adapt, combine with other ideas or works, publish, translate, publically perform, and publicly display your Photograph in any manner and for any purpose (or any modification thereto), in whole or in part, in any format or medium now known or later developed and (2) use (and permit others to use) your Photograph in any manner and for any purpose (including, without limitation, commercial or charitable purposes) that Freedom House, in its sole discretion, deems appropriate.
By submitting your Photograph you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant Freedom House all the rights granted herein and that the Photograph is your original work and is not owned by any other person or entity. You represent and warrant that the Photograph, the creation of the Photograph and the use of the Photograph do not violate any law or regulation and do not infringe the rights of any person or entity, including copyright or trademark rights or rights of privacy or publicity. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Freedom House from any loss, claim, damage or expense arising from the use of the Photograph or your breach of this agreement, including the above representations.
Photo a derivative work of genericface / CC BY-SA 2.0
Freedom House is an independent watchdog organization that supports democratic change, monitors the status of freedom around the world, and advocates for democracy and human rights.