Location: Washington, D.C.
The MENA (Middle East and North Africa) Consultant will contribute to the implementation of Freedom House's portfolio by providing administrative support and managing Farsi-language social media accounts. The Consultant will also conduct research, contribute to the development of new projects, and attend relevant meetings around Washington, D.C.
- This position will be based in Freedom House office in Washington D.C. The applicant should specify in their cover letter how many hours per week they are able to work.
- This position is a temporary consultancy position lasting approximately five months. Freedom House expects the consultant to begin in September 2017 and finish during or around April 2018.
- The applicant must pass a vetting procedure administered by the U.S. Department of State. Once contracted, Freedom House will initiate the vetting process on the consultant’s behalf.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Administrative backstopping (50%) - Draft contracts, letters of agreement and other documents for partners and consultants. Initiate payment requests and procurement processes for program expenditures. Arrange and manage communication with program’s stakeholders as well as plan and arrange events and other program-related arrangements. Provide general administrative office support for a variety of program-related tasks as directed.
- Manage social media accounts (40%) - Manage Farsi-language social media channels, including Facebook, Telegram, Twitter, among other social media platforms. Generate, edit, and publish daily content that is engaging, meaningful, and relevant. Engage and interact with social media followers on a regular basis. Use insight and analytic tools to track reach and impact, and create presentations that clearly summarize social media performance over time.
- Research and development (10%) - Conduct research assignments as needed, especially in Farsi, and provide support to the proposal development process for regional programs.
- Bachelors' degree in political science, international relations, or a similar relevant field is required
- Formal training and/or certification in social media is preferred
- Interest in the cause of advancing human rights and democracy
- Approximately one year of professional experience, preferably in an office setting
- Formal training on social media management or approximately one year of experience managing social media channels preferred
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in Farsi (native-level fluency in writing and speaking is required) and English (professional working proficiency or higher is required)
- Interest in Middle East and Iranian politics
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail, multi-task, and consistently produce timely and error-free work
- Ability to manage databases and records
- Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles
- Ability to maintain high degrees of confidentiality at all times
- Ability to collaborate with others and work as an effective team member for the success of the team
- Ability to manage and meet multiple deadlines, especially when under pressure
- Mastery of MS Office Suite, especially Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Familiarity with Social Media management and presentation tools is a plus (Infogram, Hootsuite)
Attributes and Characteristics:
- Exhibit strong and sustained commitment to the mission of Freedom House
- Show good stewardship in the use of Freedom House resources
- Exhibit ethical, professional conduct at all times, and pleasant demeanor, and positive attitude
- Consistently use good judgment when dealing with all contacts and constituents
- Exhibit high work standards, adherence to procedures, and responsibility for assigned tasks
- Demonstrate the desire for excellence to inspire others to attain professional excellence
- Assess own strengths and weaknesses; strive to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Work as an effective team member and successfully balance responsibilities
- Comply with all policies and procedures
- General working office environment
- Travel within Washington, D.C. area; occasional travel outside of the U.S. may be required to facilitate workshops and meetings (less than 20% of time)
- Exposed to outside weather conditions when required to attend event venues or travel
- Sedentary, regularly required to sit for extended periods of time; constantly talk, hear and understand speech at normal levels using a telephone. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and bend over, reach overhead, use hands, wrists and fingers, to grasp, push, pull, move, handle, feel, and type. Constantly required to use close vision and distance vision for regular computer work. Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. to waist height.
We invite qualified candidates to email a resume and a cover letter in English to [email protected] with “MENA Consultant” in the subject line. Only candidates who submit a cover letter will be considered for the position. PLEASE INCLUDE salary history and salary expectation in with your application.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
Only candidates authorized to work in the U.S. without any restrictions need to apply.