Population and GNI data source
Freedom House’s weekly update of press freedom and censorship news related to the People’s Republic of ChinaHIGHLIGHTS
* Aided by donations, Ai Weiwei pays deposit to appeal tax case
* Advertisers flock to state TV after curbs on entertainment shows
* Controversial Confucius Peace Prize awarded to Vladimir Putin
* Falun Gong radio operators imprisoned in Vietnam
* As China’s state media expand, U.S. bill calls for visa limits
Freedom House calls upon the Indian government to break its silence over the sham trial of Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and to pressure Rangoon to unconditionally release the Nobel peace laureate immediately.