Joint statement June 23, 2021
Call for Applications: Grant Support for Citizen Mobilization to Address Reform and Accountability Issues
Application Deadline and Instructions: Applications must be received by Freedom House by 23:59 EST on August 10, 2021. All grant applications must be submitted electronically to [email protected] with “Moldova Citizens Speak Small Grants” in the subject line.
Freedom House invites applications for funding and support from citizen-led initiatives and advocacy campaigns based in the Republic of Moldova that seek to advance democratic reform and fundamental freedoms and/or enhance government accountability at local and national levels. Proposals should focus on substantial engagement of citizens and suggest outreach and engagement methods to promote diverse participation. The local or national issue of concern should be clearly identified and the plan to address the issue should be detailed and feasible in the allotted time. The project should include direct or indirect engagement with decision-makers and should contain a strong publicity component through traditional or social media.
Illustrative examples of competitive proposals could range from a community campaign to draw attention to a specific reform priority or emerging threat to fundamental freedoms, to interventions to enhance citizen oversight and/or government accountability mechanisms, or crowd source policy proposal development.
Freedom House will select up to four (4) applications for small grants up to $10,000 in funding each. Grantees will have three to five months to fully prepare and implement projects in their communities. Applicants will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Organizational readiness – does the application clearly demonstrate the capacity to fulfill the requirements of the grant?
- Audience and reach – does the applicant have a clear idea of its current or desired audience and how to engage and serve the needs of that audience?
- Clear vision – does the applicant articulate a clear vision of how their project will increase citizen mobilization on reform and accountability issues at a local or national level?
- Partnerships and engagement – does the applicant plan to develop strategic partnerships with the media, civil society organizations, the human rights community, or government agencies?
- Innovative approach – does the applicant envision a unique project using innovative techniques or technical innovations that distinguishes them from other projects that address reform or accountability issues in Moldova?
Only non-commercial organizations, associations, initiatives, and foundations active in the Republic of Moldova are eligible for participation in this program. Individuals and government, quasi-government, or commercial agencies and bodies are not eligible for funding.
Selection decisions will be made on a rolling basis beginning in mid-August 2021. Proposals may cost between $5,000 - $10,000. Selected organizations will receive up to 5 months of financial assistance beginning in September 2021, and will work closely with and report to Freedom House staff on funded activities for the duration of the grant period.
Application Submission Criteria
- Applications will be accepted until the closing date noted above.
- Applications must be submitted electronically in Romanian, Russian, or English using the application form provided.
- Budget AND budget notes must be uploaded in the online application using the provided templates by the closing date.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered. Each application requires a complete application form, budget, and budget notes.
This activity is part of the Freedom House’s project “Citizens Speak: Advancing Citizen-Led Democratic Reform in Moldova,” supported by the US State Department and NDI, which aims to mobilize civil society in support of democratic reforms, fundamental freedoms, and government accountability.
Founded in 1941 by Eleanor Roosevelt and others, Freedom House is the oldest non-profit, nongovernmental organization in the United States dedicated to promoting and defending democracy and freedom worldwide. Freedom House supports the global expansion of freedom through its advocacy activities, monitoring, and in-depth research on the state of freedom, and direct support of democratic reformers throughout the world.