Senior Research Analyst, Media and Democracy
Freedom House is seeking a Senior Research Analyst to lead and expand a new research initiative that investigates the relationship between the media and democracy in Europe.
Freedom House is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization that works to create a world where all are free. We inform the world about threats to freedom, mobilize global action, and support democracy’s defenders, especially those working in closed authoritarian societies. Freedom House is founded on the core conviction that freedom flourishes in democratic nations where governments are accountable to their people; the rule of law prevails; and freedoms are guaranteed. Established 80 years ago to respond to the threats posed by fascism, we know there is no more powerful force for the development of human society than democracy. As the world experiences the 15th year of consecutive democratic decline, our work—and our partners carrying it out around the world—have never mattered more.
Freedom House’s research portfolio includes its annual Freedom in the World and Freedom on the Net assessments of global democracy and digital freedom; Nations in Transit, an annual evaluation of democracy in the region stretching from Central Europe to Central Asia; the monthly China Media Bulletin digest; and special reports including Out of Sight, Not Out of Reach: Understanding Transnational Repression, a first-of-its-kind analysis of the global phenomenon of governments reaching across borders to silence dissent among diasporas and exiles; Democracy under Lockdown, a major report examining the threats to democracy posed by the COVID-19 pandemic; Election Watch for the Digital Age, an election monitor investigating the interplay between digital platforms and election integrity; and forthcoming projects on media and democracy and the global media influence of the Chinese Communist Party.
Freedom House is seeking a Senior Research Analyst to lead and expand a new research initiative that investigates the relationship between the media and democracy in 10 European countries. Responsibilities will include conducting research and analysis on countries’ media ecosystem, democratic trajectory, and policy responses, as well as project management and supervision of research consultants. This position is ideally based at our offices in New York, NY, or Washington, DC, where candidates must possess US work authorization. Given the key responsibilities of this role, Freedom House will consider outstanding candidates based in Europe who do not possess US work authorization.
- Conduct research on and analyze legislative and regulatory proposals and practices related to the media, including those that relate to censorship, ownership, advertising, codes of conduct, foreign interference, protections for journalists, digital media, and the information environment more broadly. Use this research to develop best practices for stakeholders to adopt.
- Author thematic reports, talking points, long and short articles, policy recommendations, and other substantive documents as required.
- Oversee research coordination, engage with research consultants, and manage the production schedule for written analysis and other outputs.
- Monitor key political developments in Europe, identify and analyze major trends at the intersection of media and democracy, and lead policy research around relevant responses.
- Strengthen thematic expertise within Freedom House, contribute analysis on media and democracy issues, draft written products such as policy briefs, op-eds, and talking points.
- Strategically identify and coordinate opportunities for public and private engagement, including by participating in events and roundtables.
- Represent Freedom House with the media, civil society, policymakers, potential donors, and other stakeholders. Where funding and health conditions permit, travel to attend relevant conferences to represent Freedom House.
- Collaborate with other Freedom House departments, including communications, advocacy, and international programs teams, to coordinate report research, rollout, and policy recommendations.
- Design project plans, goals, and timelines, and develop methods to track and evaluate project processes.
- Supervise a part-time junior researcher and interns, as appropriate.
- Assist with funding proposals, donor reports, and monitoring and evaluation of the project’s impact.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Please note that we do not expect anyone to tick every single box for this position. Also, if you have relevant experience not listed here, please tell us about it in your application.
- Advanced degree in political science, human rights, international law, media, public policy, or related field, plus a minimum of 5-7 years of directly related experience; candidates with a bachelor’s degree and equivalent combination of experience will also be considered.
- Strong knowledge and interest in European politics and the legal, political, and economic factors and trends that influence the media landscape in Europe.
- Demonstrated understanding of important media policy and regulatory debates in Europe and globally.
- Outstanding English writing and editing skills and experience drafting concise, eloquent, and media-friendly communications of varying lengths, including policy briefs and opinion pieces.
- Experience leading long-term research on complicated political and policy-related questions.
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including demonstrated experience speaking to and interacting with external stakeholders.
- Superb attention to detail and an ability to produce error-free work on tight deadlines.
- Eagerness to develop into an internally and externally recognized expert and enthusiasm to seek out new opportunities for Freedom House on media and democracy issues.
- Comfort working with limited supervision on long-term tasks, finding solutions to problems as they arise, and taking responsibility for your work.
- Emotional intelligence needed to facilitate cooperation between people with divergent views and from different cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in a workplace setting.
- Experience conducting project management and coordinating multiple tasks on a 3-12 month timeline.
- Some experience with donor reporting, and monitoring & evaluation.
- Some experience with quantitative data and qualitative information to create methodologies, infographics, and communication materials for publication.
- Knowledge of a European language is a plus.
- The hired candidate is expected to start in June 2022. Staff members are currently working remotely or partially remotely due to Covid-19. Freedom House maintains offices in New York, NY, and Washington, DC. Under appropriate circumstances, Freedom House will consider requests to work remotely, including from Europe.
- Diversity makes our work stronger. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply.
- Freedom House provides a strong benefits package, including a 403(b) retirement account, commuter benefits, flexible hours, floating holidays, high employer contributions to medical, dental, and vision premiums, basic and voluntary life and AD&D insurance, short- and long-term disability, flexible spending account, and more.
- The salary for this position starts at $68,000. Final salary calculations are commensurate with experience and based on pay grades that prioritize equity across the organization.
- The role may require light domestic and international travel to participate in conferences, briefings, and workshops.
Freedom House is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, or protected veteran status, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation to apply for a position with Freedom House, please call 202-227-4308 or email [email protected].
Directions to Apply
Applicants are required to submit a 1- to 2-page resume and a 1-page cover letter that outlines their interest and qualifications for this position. Cover letters should be responsive to the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the job description. Please send application materials as PDF files to [email protected] with the subject heading, “Application: Senior Research Analyst, Media and Democracy.”
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and accepted through Sunday, May 29. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.