Population and GNI data source
Freedom House’s biweekly update of press freedom and censorship news related to the People’s Republic of ChinaHIGHLIGHTS
* Censors bar coverage of activist Cao Shunli's death
* WeChat news-sharing accounts shuttered in latest crackdown
* Seeking U.S. IPOs, Alibaba and Weibo tackle counterfeiting and censorship risks
* NSA accused of spying on Huawei
* Michelle Obama extols freedom of speech during China trip
Freedom House’s biweekly update of press freedom and censorship news related to the People’s Republic of China
* Liberal media group sells Beijing paper, turns on anticensorship supporters
* Censors suppress information on Xu Zhiyong trial
* Massive internet outage attributed to censorship error
* Uighur academic Ilham Tohti held incommunicado, name censored online
* Beijing blocks visas for U.S., Taiwanese reporters
Freedom House urges the Chinese government to issue visas to Taiwanese reporters so far denied entry, preventing them from covering cross-strait meetings occurring this week in China.
Madeline Earp is the Asia research analyst for Freedom on the Net, Freedom House's annual index of global internet freedom.